Saturday, 23 July 2016

Odd Pants

Well helloooooo! It's been a while. I've had a few technical difficulties with both my sewing machine and my camera, plus I've been insanely busy with you know - LIFE. Everything is sorted now though and I even have a new (second hand) overlocker which I'm stoked about!

Ok, now that the excuses are out of the way lets talk about these trousers. I was very tempted to buy the Tessuti Demi Pant when it come out but then I remembered Vogue 8712 that's been languishing in my stash so long its now out of print. Rather than fork out for a new pattern, then spend an age printing, cutting and sticking I shopped the stash. And with the money that I saved I bought the Annie Dress pattern ;)



Ordinarily I'm not much of a Marcy Tilton fan - her designs are just a bit too off-beat for me but this is one of her more conservative creations and it has a bit of harem pant vibe which I'm rather partial to. I chose black fabric to tone down any potential wackiness too. It's a thick cotton drill from Drapers and I think the lack of drape is perfect for this pattern as the pants hold their shape nicely.

I chose View C which is a similar shape to A and B (I can't see what the difference is between A and B?) but is markedly more complicated. It features a fly front, in seam pockets. Flat front waist band and elasticated back waist band, back and side seams, and front and side ankle shaping panels. Theres a fair amount of top stitching too which meant they weren't the fastest sew. I would definitely recommend A and B for beginners.



As usual I went down two sizes from what's recommended for my measurements for Vogue patterns and the fit is perfect. The length has to be taken out of the leg before cutting as you can't hem them once their done. I compared the pattern pieces to some pants that I already own and decided to take 6cm out of the leg. I'm happy with the length but they're not quite as short as on the pattern cover. Next time I might take out a couple more centimetres out.


When I first put these on my man-friend deemed them "odd". Hmmmmm, I'll take that as a compliment. I recognise that this silhouette is not going to be everyones cup of tea, but I have to say that these are my new favourite pants. They're super comfy and practical and despite the fact that I'm not exactly long of leg I find them strangely flattering. I really resonated with this post from Bombazine and I too have been enjoying alternatives to skinny jeans. Here's to more odd pants!

DEETS:

Pattern: V8712
Size: 8
Fabric: Cotton drill from Drapers Fabrics
Mods: None
Verdict: Love
T-shirt: Ensis Tee, blogged here

19 comments:

  1. Ahh I love them, mostly due to their 'odd' shape! I recently bought some vintage levis jeans with a very similar (somewhat angled) shape. they sit at the waist and are cropped, too! Never saw that shape before until I saw yours! The black twill makes yours really classy! I already considered tracing my levis, a black version would get a lot of wear over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christiane! I'm loving this shape!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh overlocker! How exciting! It'll change your life! Now, these are great! I really like the length on you. And I think they're a bit chicer than the Tessuti pants tbh! They'd definitely be man repellers in my house too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Yes the overlocker is very exciting! I've already pumped out a few knit items from it and it's such a treat!

      Delete
  4. Not odd, fabulous pants. I too need some non- skinnies in my life. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I think you would look great in these! But I must warn you, pants making is addictive!

      Delete
  5. OH, I love these pants! I'm always looking for a slightly different silhouette, and these are awesome. Great with the creepers too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I wasn't sure if this silhouette would work for me but I'm totally digging it!

      Delete
  6. Love the pants! They're definitely not what popped into my head when you said Marcy Tilton :) they have such a great shape. I also want to break free of the skinnies but I just can't seem to let go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I know! These are very tame compared to Marcy's usual style but I really appreciate her drafting prowess now. She really creates some cool shapes with different fabric pieces. I'll never let go of skinnies, theyre a great staple but it's nice to have an alternative ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh I love these!! So cool. I like how visible that seam between the knee and ankle is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like all the seams too. It was a fun make!

      Delete
  8. They are awesome! I love the shape and seaming. Totally hear you on skinny jeans alternatives - it's so muggy in London I've been going for wide legs way more lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pants are so great! I commend you for seeing the promise in a Tilton pattern... I'm often too quick to pass and don't see the perks in her quirk! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a new appreciation for Marcy Tilton now, she's very clever ;)

      Delete
  10. Hi Kate, just love the black pants. Ive been looking for the Marcy Tilton V8712 to no avail, hours searching. Are you willing to sell the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonya. Unfortunately this is one of my favourite patterns so I really want to hang onto it. I'm sure one will pop up at some stage. Good luck!

      Delete