Sunday, 5 June 2016

Wide Leg Love



All hail the return of wide leg pants!

Back in the 90's I was a firm believer in the wide leg look. In fact I'd scour Christchurch second hand shops for "vintage" (back then they were simply termed "old") wide leg pant patterns and made pair after pair of multi-coloured waistband-less, fly-less, pocket-less baggy pants with badly inserted side lapped zippers. They were cool though and I'd often get stopped in the streets with people asking me where I got my pants. Ha! Thankfully my sewing skills have improved somewhat since my Uni days so these are a more refined version of that look.

To reunite with my silhouette of yesteryear I used Simplicity 2562 (Version B) which I shopped from my stash. This pattern is sadly out of print which is a shame because it's a goody but this pattern looks similar. These are from the Amazing Fit Range and there were options for slim, average and curvy. I went with the average version and went down one size to a size 10 based on measurements. Although I know I need to go down two sizes with Big 4 patterns I still like to err on the side of caution. I have a deeply rooted aversion to muslins so basically everything I make for the first time is a wearable muslin.

The instructions are great as would be expected from a pattern that promises an amazing fit. I love the construction order of these pants too, in fact I'm going to make all my pants in this manner from now on. Towards the end you baste fit the pants and tweak to perfection before proceeding to sew the waistband. I ended up taking the waist in to a size 8 and left the legs as is. After seeing these photos and wearing my pants around a bit I reckon I could have cut a straight size 8 for a more fitted look. But I'm still digging the relaxed vibe of these pants.

The Fabric is a black and white pin stripe linen from The Fabric Store. It's weightier and more finely woven than many linens making it a nice sturdy fabric for pants but still with a lovely drape. My t-shirt is the SJ tee from Papercut Patterns which is fast becoming a favourite staple pattern.



I'm really enjoying having the full leg mobility that wide leg pants enable, as opposed to skinny jeans which I generally rip off my legs as soon as I get home. How about you? Are you jumping on board the wide leg pant boat?

DEETS:
Pattern: Simplicity 2562
Size:10, 8 at the waist
Fabric: Linen from The Fabric Store
T-shirt: SJ Tee in black knit from Drapers Fabrics
Mods: None other than taking around 6cm out of the leg
Verdict: Love! Will definitely make a size 8 next time

18 comments:

  1. These look fab. I need to overcome my pants fear & just sew some! I must revisit the SJ Tee... It was one of my first projects & a bit of a disaster which I think was just a sizing issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Just jump right in :) Pants are really not that hard if you have a pattern with good instructions. Admittedly the fitting aspect can be a little annoying, but all you need is a little perseverance and a willingness to tweak, tweak and tweak again.

      Delete
  2. I love linen pants and yours look great! I never thought I would abandon skinny pants in favor of wide legs, but here I am. In fact linen wide leg pants are going to be my next project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linen is the best isn't it? Skinny pants have had a good run in my wardrobe but I'm glad it's time to move on :)

      Delete
  3. I love this style so much, but after a some tries at flares in the past couple of years, I think I might prefer tapered or straight styles on my figure. They look perfect on you - maybe a remake of the multi-colored version is in order? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this style too, I feel really at home in them. There are a lot of styles out there that I admire and have tried to emulate but just don't feel right on me so I hear ya ;) Oh God, I'm not sure about the multi-coloured ones ha-ha! I wish I had some photos though!

      Delete
  4. Really nice! Oh man I definitely remember wide-leg days. I had some Dual ones. I think they were beige?! These are infinitely cooler and more flattering than what I was rocking circa 2003! I second you 100% on the skinny jean ripping off phenomenon. They feel like body armour at work and as soon as I walk in the door at home they are OFF. I'd like to try wide leg pants but it's going to take a bit of getting used to I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wearing wide legs is like riding a bike - you never forget! I'm sure you would rock them just like you did in 2003 ;)

      Delete
  5. I love your trousers (sorry pants just means something else to me ;-)). Being a wide legged trousers kinda girl, I recently decided that they have come back. A little girl asked me whilst I was swishing along in some flowery ones, why I was wearing such flappy trousers. She caught herself before she said pyjamas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! Don't be sorry! We speak the Queens English here in New Zealand and as such I should really be using "trousers" too.

      Delete
  6. These look fabulous! Such a great fit. I really love the wide legged pant as you know, but I do find them tough to wear at times. They don't suit me in winter (I can't even explain it) and I trip over their legs ALL. THE. TIME. Seriously, I'm a liability. It's a bit like maxi dresses, they're death traps LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Moving forward from here I'm going to make ankle length wide legs or flares which I think will be much more conducive to walking ;)

      Delete
  7. Such a great fit on you. I love the look of the wide leg, and in fact have a whole Pinterest page devoted to the Jean Paul gaultier sailor pant look but I'm not sure that I can do it..... I think with the junk I have in my trunk the skinny is always going to be my jam.... I've been researching pants fitting more and more - the perfect cigarette pant is my goal this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and btw you totally look like you should be in the clip for Its Like That....

      Delete
    2. That is the ULTIMATE compliment! LOL!!!! I love Run DMC. A well drafted and fitted pair of pants is a wonder of wonders - good luck with your cigarette pants!

      Delete
  8. Love! I grew up in the late 70s and have loved wide leg trousers since then...... I find them the most comfortable, stylish, and cool trouser styles. Cool as in great in summer - especially in linen like these - and depending on the height of the waist, you can get a vintage look, a hip look, a classic look.... plus they're the easiest to fit. Who doesn't love that?

    In the 70s we wore them right to the floor - covering our platforms - now I think they only look good that length with flats like you're wearing them, otherwise I like a bit of shoe showing, or even ankle.

    I also think they're the most universally flattering - much more that the vaunted boot leg... minimise big bottoms, give curves to straighter types...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really nice on you! Personally I fear the wide leg. I'm just not ready to dive back into my 90s fashion! :) But I'm sure I'll come round as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi guys,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article! Here we all can learn a lot of useful things and this is not only my opinion!
    Even BLNCK corp. and https://bohohill.com/ confirmed it!

    ReplyDelete