Saturday, 16 April 2016

Turia Dungarees

Despite the fact that the last time I successfully wore overalls I was four years old, I still couldn't fight the uncontrollable urge to buy the Turia Dungarees by Pauline Alice at the beginning of summer and try them out. Pinterest strikes again!


These are View B (the short version) which I made up in a nautical stripe denim from The Fabric Store.


I learned from other bloggers that only one side zip was necessary so that's what I did. Rather than turn in and topstitch the bib sections I used bias binding binding for a neater finish.


At 164cm I'm one cm shorter than what Pauline Alice patterns designs for, but I still have to have my straps at maximum length to keep the back riding up my bum and I also lowered the pockets 5cm. Does that mean I have a long body? I never knew!


From the front I think these are pretty good but not exceptionally flattering from the back, but I think that might just be an dungaree thing as there's no shaping at the waist.

As has been pointed out in other posts the back straps are not drafted to sit neatly against the back. Next time I'll definitely correct that.


Overall (haha, see what I did there?) I really like these and I've worn them quite a bit. The comfort levels are super high and perfect for a family camping holiday :)


So after a 33 year hiatus I'm successfully wearing dungarees again, In fact I'm hooked! I definitely want to make up a pair in dark denim for winter.

**shots were taken at Waikawau Bay, Coromandel New Zealand**

DEETS:
Pattern: Turia Dungarees by Pauline Alice
Size: 36, with a 40 length
Fabric: Nautical striped denim from The Fabric Store
Mods: Only put one side zipper in and finished most of the edges with bias binding.
Verdict: Super comfy and cute, I definitely see more of these in my future
My measurements: 164, 87, 69, 92

19 comments:

  1. I was about to ask where your pics were taken, looks like a great spot! Love the dungas. Mine are sadly no longer due to dire wedgie status. Yours look great, what a good idea to finish the bib with bias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad yours had to go but I can understand, if I was a bit taller these would be no good too :) I highly recommend this place! It's just got a campground and is quite secluded and it's really safe to swim. Just magical really!

      Delete
  2. I wore striped dungarees as a teenager. Yours look really good, perfect for a camping trip! Great background shots btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Coromandel is so beautiful, I couldn't think of a better place to take blog photos :)

      Delete
  3. These are amazing! I've had the idea of some striped dungarees in my head for a while so to see someone make them is making me want to skip the queue and cut these immediately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Do it! I would love to see them :)

      Delete
  4. Haha, I totally see what you did there ;) You look great, but I'm still not sold for me. I fear looking like a grotesquely overgrown toddler. Oh yes, I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I thought you were thinking of making dungalottes, in fact isn't that your word? To be honest I did have to force myself to wear these in public, but I'm glad I did - theres nothing more comfortable. I think toddlers are on to something...

      Delete
  5. These are really cute and totally fine from the back. Love them with the hat and tee. Like Jillian overalls are not for me. I'd look like a Teletubby....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious! At least you know your boundaries ;)

      Delete
  6. They look fab. I'm normally terribly conservative with what I wear, but I really want to make these. Great casual wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes its good to give ourselves a little push outside of the fashion comfort zone. I did have to force myself to wear these at first, but now you can't get them off me!

      Delete
  7. These are great! They look super cute, casual and comfy! And I love the striped fabric. I think you pull them off really well! And the photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie! I'm glad I ended up making them because I wasn't sure I could pull them off. The stripes are courtesy of pinterest - I have no originality of my own ;)

      Delete
  8. Love! I'm suspicious of any kind of top attached to pants but these are forcing me to reconsider...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm suspicious too! I think overalls is as far as I'll go. No matter how cute jumpsuits look I'm just not going down that road ;)

      Delete
  9. These are so cute! Honestly I fear overalls but you're killing it in these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I reckon you'd look really good in overalls! They are so comfortable and probably really good for your job :)

      Delete
  10. There's never too late to wear overalls! Especially, when using stripy fabric ;)

    ReplyDelete