Tuesday, 22 March 2016

La Sylphide Dress

Just a little something to break the monotony of all those basics that I've been sewing lately.

This is La Sylphide Dress by Papercut Patterns. BTW this is the 4th blog post in a row featuring a Papercut Patterns so obviously I'm a fan. My Papercut Pattern makes are some of my most utilised wardrobe pieces. I feel like they have a certain je ne sais quoi which makes them very wearable. What do you think of their new collection? It usually takes me a little while to assimilate a new collection and I'm not an impulse buyer so I haven't purchased anything yet but so far my favourites are the jeans and the sweatshirt. I'm sure I'll end up wanting everything once I see everyone elses makes!

This dress came to being because I wanted to make something a little bit fancy to wear out during summer but casual and comfortable at the same time. 



Aside from the hemming which is a bitch, the make itself is very simple. I ommitted the sleeves because I wanted to wear it in the height of summer and I felt it would have a more casual vibe sleeveless. To accommodate that I took a couple of centimetres off the shoulder and pinched a little dart on the pattern piece around the armscye. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to alterations so I just hope for the best and this time it worked out fine :)

I've made this pattern before in the blouse version. I chose to make another XS which was a mistake because while that size worked fine for a blouse, for the dress it was a little big. I just took it in at the sides to make it effectively an XXS. All the seams are Frenched (I'm so fancy these days) and the sleeves are finished with bias binding which I hand stitched down because no matter how many techniques I use for finishing with bias binding I always end up with sticking up armholes or necklines. The only technique that I've found that really works is hand stitching.

There's nothing experimental about this make. The colours, the print, the pussy bow and the shape of this dress are all very ME and as a result I've already worn it heaps, which makes me happy :)



DEETS:

Pattern: La Sylphide by Papercut Patterns
Size: XXS
Fabric: Viscose from Drapers Fabrics.
Mods: lengthened skirt by 1cm
Verdict: Love!

26 comments:

  1. Oh! it looks lovely! You should definitely buy the jeans pattern - great shape and interesting pockets!I am not big fan of the sweatshirt, it looks strage to me. In my opinion the best piece of this collection is Moona Dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The jeans are definitely on my (very long) to do list!

      Delete
  2. its stunning. so simple and so effective

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really gorgeous on you. I'm such a fan of the old pussy bow neckline. Would you believe I've never made a PC pattern? I admire them on others but never really been strongly drawn to them for myself.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to make everything with a pussy bow!

      Delete
  4. Love it! Sticking with something you know is 'very you' is, I think, key for making a handmade wardrobe that you'll ACTUALLY want to wear! And this dress is proof of that! I think you look fabulous in it. It's one of those dresses where you notice the beautiful woman rather than the beautiful dress, and you can't beat that. Also, I'm on team hand stitch bias binding too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Sallie! My New Years resolution is to mainly stick to 'me' items with a little experimentation now and then to push myself :)

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful. I love the way it drapes and the fabric pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! I was very lucky to score this gorgeous fabric :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous - the color, print, movement in the skirt, everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan! I think it was one of the projects where everything came together really well :)

      Delete
  7. Very lovely, especially in that flowy viscose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was my first time sewing with viscose. I usually steer clear of synthetics but I couldn't resist this one. It's really lovely but wrinkles easily!

      Delete
  8. Love the dress. Very pretty. Cheers, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! I think the fabric and the pattern are a match made in heaven :)

      Delete
  10. Just gorgeous Kate. Beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I'm so happy because my husband is taking a keen interest in taking my blog photos of late. It definitely beats a tripod :)

      Delete
  11. So so lovely! It's perfect on you. I wish I could wear this style, but I look ridiculous. Why is that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often see people of a similar age and body type rocking something that I know just wouldn't work for me and wonder why too? Sometimes I think it's not really how we look but rather how we feel in certain clothes and that's something that maybe can't be explained....

      Delete
  12. Oh, it's lovely! It's a beautiful colour on you and the style is super cute. You look gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just stumbled across your blog via Closet Case Files and I love your style. Your little girl is the cutest too! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I have to admit she's pretty cute ;)

      Delete