Friday, 8 January 2016

Waver Jacket and 11 Random Facts

Well hello and Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a great holiday. We had fun but had to cut our camping adventure short due to heavy rain and high winds! Oh well, that's New Zealand summers for you, which is why November found me making this Waver Jacket by Papercut Patterns despite summer looming. I've been around long enough to know that our summers can be a mixed bag, except of course two years ago when I was heavily pregnant and had to suffer one of the hottest summers on record. Twas cruel.
Anyway this jacket came about because my boring and practical side felt the need for a light/mid weight casual jacket in a neutral colour that I could wear with just about anything.


This is a pretty simple design, in fact the simplicity of the pattern put me off in the beginning as I felt it could have had a few more interesting touches. I was intending to add my own embellishments such as concealed zipper front, a higher neck, epaulettes, more pockets etc but in the end I chose the path of least resistance and followed the pattern exactly. I'm not very good at mental 3D rotation so I reasoned that I would make a simple one first then I could make a follow up with changes with the hard copy in front of me. Also it's actually kind of nice to make a jacket that doesn't fry your brain.

The fabric is a thick and sturdy cotton nylon from The Fabric Store which was a mere $6 a metre. It appears black in the photos but has a subtle silvery blue pinstripe so it's not completely boring! For the lining I chose a cotton houndstooth which I found at Geoffs Emporium for $3 a metre and the buttons are from an op shop bargain bin so I think I made this jacket for around twenty bucks :)

Construction went smoothly until I got to the sleeves. I couldn't make sense of the instructions so I googled Waver Jacket blog posts and it seems every single person that has made this jacket has used Jen's bagged lining tutorial for the sleeves, so that's what I did and I recommend you do too!

This is a great jacket which fulfils all of it's requirements and I've already worn it heaps. Next time I'll put a button at the waist though as the front gapes open when the waist ties are drawn up.

DEETS:
Pattern: Waver Jacket by Papercut Patterns
Size: XXS
Mods: None
Fabric: Cotton Nylon from The Fabric Store.
My measurements: 164, 87, 69, 92

So a couple of months ago Punkty Odniesienia nominated me for a Liebster Award which is a way of saying "I like your blog, tell me more about yourself" To accept the award you have to tell 11 random facts about yourself and nominate another blog with less than 200 followers. I actually **ahem** have more than 200 followers now, but just so you know, I don't blog daggy photos of me posing in my home-made clothes for followers. I'm not sure exactly why I do blog, but I do and I like it so theres that. 

11 Random Facts About Me

1) My favourite food is rice pudding
2) I spent 3 1/2 years at Uni getting a Science degree and never used it once
3) I'm a classic Aries
4) I've been vegetarian for 20 years. Last year I decided to try fish and chicken because I didn't want to be too rigid in my approach to life. I didn't really like it.
5) My three main hobbies in order of importance: sewing, yoga, languages
6) I like acting and being on stage (I'm pretty crap). One of these days I'm going to join a theatre group....
7) I like doing accents and impersonations. Once I won a radio competition for my impersonation of Mike Whitney (An Australian bloke)
8) After I finished my degree I spent 11 years in the hospitality industry. At that stage my passion was food and cooking. I got majorly burnt out.
9) I was born in Brazil to a Kiwi Mother and Brazilian father but I've lived in NZ most of my life
10) My favourite music genres are: World, Brazilian, Reggae and Hip Hop
11) I'm not a morning person or a night owl, rather I am a day person.

The blogs I would like to nominate are The Minimalist Hypothesis and Nahzimmerblog

19 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice to know more. I think that jacket is going to worn to death it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You're right about that! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I do love a nice, practical basic! I've been thinking about making a Waver as well for some time now. I first I also didn't like the design, but seeing all the lovely version popping around everywhere, I think I have to have mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no escaping the necessity of wardrobe basics and I enjoy making them! Probably because of the satisfaction I get from getting a lot of wear from my me-mades!

      Delete
  3. Cute jacket! Here's an idea to fix the gape at the waist: http://vintageinkfairy.blogspot.com/2015/06/tips-n-tricks-dreaded-waist-gape_7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked this post out and I have it book marked now. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I like your 11! This looks like a great piece. I've gone both ways with outerwear projects - no modifications, tons of modifications - and the tons of mods projects have some serious delays - months or even a year! I think you're wise to get a jacket you need done sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought! I'm planning on doing a proper wool coat this year which I really want to take my time on. I'll probably be referring to your coat making posts and getting that book that you recommend!

      Delete
  5. Mike Whitney?! Bwahahaha! Hilarious! Everyone seems to have that gaposis..... But it still looks highly wearable and love the fabric choice. I've got the Minoru in my sights this year.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh the Minoru! That's like a Waver on steroids. I'd love to make one of those. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Great jacket, it looks so easy to throw on. And such an interesting getting to know you. I secretly love those posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love hearing about other people too, I wish everyone did the 11 facts thing.

      Delete
  7. What a nice jacket. I agree that it's a simple design, but in my experience the clothes with the least doo-dads get worn the most of all. Plus it looks sleek and cool. Sorry to hear about your camping trip, we suffered some major gales in our little tent last night and it feels sooo good to be indoors again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! As much as we loved camping we were so happy to get home! By the looks of things you're having a good time :)

      Delete
  8. Nice combo of fabric for your jacket. Sometimes it's those simple projects that can be the most enjoyable to wear because it goes with everything - enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your jacket looks fantastic! beautiful made and looks like the perfect thing to toss over anything. It's items like this that we reach for time and time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great jacket! I bet your friends and family can't believe you made it. Oh! If you are bugged by the gaping, you could hand stitch a snap to the button band so you can't see it from the outside! I did that once to fix some gaping and it worked pretty well.

    Loved reading your 11 facts!

    ReplyDelete