Friday, 27 November 2015

Alice Top

Wonder of wonders, the sun has finally reared her beautiful head giving me the opportunity to wear my freshly made Alice Top.

I am a long time lover of peasant tops and was immediately and deeply enamoured of the billows, yoke and gathers of the Alice Top by Tessuti Fabrics when I saw it on Bimble and Pimble .

The fabric is a sarong which I picked up in Bali recently with the Alice top specifically in mind. It has a rather loose weave which gives it a nice drape, but was a bit of a nightmare to work with because of the off grain and out of kilter print and it also stretched out of shape horrifically after cutting. I also should have bought two of the same sarongs because there really wasn't enough fabric. But after a bit of problem solving and some patch work this is what I came up with.

After extensive blog research (this is a very popular pattern among sewing bloggers) I went with the XXS because I knew it ran large. What I didn't realise was how looooong it would be. It came out looking like a tunic (I'm 164cm tall for reference) rather than a top so I reluctantly hacked at least 5cm off my beautiful border and I could have taken more off as it's still quite long.

I'm really happy with my Alice Top and I'm certain I'll get a lot of wear out of it this summer and I might just make the dress version too.

DEETS:

Pattern: Alice Top by Tessuti Fabrics
Size: XXS
Fabric: Sarong from Bali
Mods: Took about 5cm off the hem length



12 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Lovely job with the print-mixing - I find that to be a particularly tough thing to get right, and you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I also find it hard print mixing. I literally sat paralysed staring at my fabric for ages trying to figure out what to do. It wasn't what I initially envisaged but I'm pretty happy :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I agree about both he length and the sizing - I made an xs with no alterations the first time and it's both too big and too long. My second one went much better. Any pic with your daughter in it is a bonus, she is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's why I love reviewing sewing blogs before I make things. I find them so helpful! I was bored seeing photos of myself so I thought I'd slip that last one in. She's seen me posing so many times for photos she does it herself now. What have I created?

      Delete
  3. It's so pretty! You've done a lovely job - great mixing of prints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super, super pretty and very you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian! Through my sewing adventures I'm discovering what is me and I love it!

      Delete
  5. You look gorgeous in this top! I really like the fabric. Have a nice day, Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really, really lovely! I've long admired this pattern and I think I've loved every version I've seen of it, but yours is particularly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I've been admiring this pattern for ages too and I'm really glad I made it!

    ReplyDelete