Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Playsuit

There are tnt patterns, patterns that I hope work out amazingly and become tnt, and patterns that I make just for the hell of it and see where it takes me.




Japanese patterns tend to fall in the latter category. They're kind of quirky, not necessarily fashionable or even flattering for that matter, but they somehow beg me to be made. And I oblige.




This is pattern 4 from Sweet Dress Book (23 Stylish outfits from six simple patterns) by Yoshiko Tsukiori. Pattern 4 is a pants and playsuit pattern which has options for flared pants, a playsuit with tied straps (what I made) and a strapless jumpsuit.



Shirring ugh! This was my first ever attempt at it and I can wholeheartedly say I suck at it. I couldn't get a low enough tension on my machine without my thread breaking to get enough gathering, so after sewing each row I hand gathered to get the correct length. Not that easy a feat once you've got a few rows already and your fabric is all bunched up. It ended up being quite time consuming and wasteful as I chopped off large lengths of elastic after I was done gathering. All this was done the night before my flight to Bali and was rather rushed so it's not perfect!

Apart from the pain in the arse that is shirring this is a super easy pattern which I followed exactly and I'm really happy with the results. At first the shorts felt a little too flared for my liking but after wearing it a few times I started to feel more comfortable. One thing worth mentioning is the bodice seems a bit short and finishes rather low down on the bust (and I have a low bust), so taller people or those with perky bosoms might end up showing off more than they bargained for!

I ended up wearing my playsuit quite a bit during my trip to Bali and I can report it was really comfortable and perfect for a tropical getaway.


This is not something I would normally make or wear but I actually feel kind of woohoo about it and I'm planning to make the strapless playsuit with long pants next, although I need to do more research into shirring! How do you guys feel about making something out of sheer curiosity?

DEETS:
Pattern 4 from Sweet Dress Book - Playsuit with tied straps
Size: Small
Fabric: lightweight cotton from Spotlight
Mods: None





16 comments:

  1. The fabric choice for your playsuit is just amazing! You look great in it and with the background.

    I tried a bunch of Japanese sewing patterns before (including Tukiori's), but they never turned out right for me. Probably I did not know how to 'make it work.' Thanks to you, I've been thinking to try them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've definitely had a few ridiculous makes from Tsukiori. The key is the right fabric for the style and making a few adjustments. I keep the skirts above the knee and add waist ties and elasticated waists to avoid looking pregnant ;)

      Delete
  2. I make lots of stuff out of sheer curiosity! I just finished a playsuit too and am still not sure how I feel about it. For some reason they feel much more conspicuous than dresses. I actually think yours looks like dress in most of these photos though, probably due to the flare. Super jealous of these Bali photos, it needs to stop raining here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree on the conspicuousness of playsuits! I had no qualms about wearing this in Bali where anything goes, but I suspect I might feel a little more self conscious here in NZ

      Delete
  3. This turned out spectacularly! I've never done shirring for precisely this reason, but I always admire the effect, and it definitely looks like it would make the comfiest of warm weather looks. The fabric is the perfect choice too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie! I've since read a few tutorials on shirring so I'll definitely be trying it out again because I like the effect :)

      Delete
  4. That's a long way to go for a photoshoot! It sounds like you wore it a lot while you were there so it was worth the rush to finish. I really like the print you have used so must pay a visit to Spotlight! I also really like trying new ideas/techniques out of curiosity, it can be frustrating and/or a great learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found this fabric on the clearance table - there are some real gems hidden there! Definitely had my fair share of failures but theres always something to be learned!

      Delete
  5. So cute! It's funny that you say the patterns are not really fashionable. I've never though of it that way before. I guess I err on the side of quirky, but they do call to me like a siren song too :) Ugh shirring... you can keep that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fashion Schmashion! Shirring is a real pain but somehow I feel I need to conquer it, so I'm going in for more :P

      Delete
  6. It's very cute and perfect for a tropical island trip. Funny I never had problems when I shirred and my old machine is a temperamental old bag at times. Did you wind the shirring elastic on your bobbin by hand? If you wind it by hand without stretching it works better.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wound it by hand. I've since read a few tutorials so next time I'll try steaming the shirring which apparently tightens the gathering. Also I've just been reunited with my Grandmothers Husqvarna which I'm looking forward to using again. I believe you have an old Husqvarna?

      Delete
  7. This is so cute! It's funny, I never would have realized that this was a playsuit if you hadn't said! I thought it was a dres! I've never tried shirring before, but it seems pretty fiddly!

    I actually love sewing patterns just for the hell of it, because I'm curious. Sometimes I really want to try sewing something just to see how it goes together, even though it's not my style, so I just make it in my sister's size or my mom's so I can have fun sewing but not be stuck with a garment that I won't wear. :) Experimenting with different styles and shapes is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband took photos of me all day and didn't realise it was shorts either! My Mum and my sister are often the recipients of my experiments too!

      Delete
  8. You look great! I think this pattern is super cute. I have that book too but haven't done a single thing from it yet... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia! I love this book. I've made a couple of things from it and I want to make more!

      Delete