Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Fancy Pants

It doesn't happen very often but sometimes I go out. As in to somewhere nice. And on such occasions when the weather is cold and/or I don't feel like wearing a dress or jeans, I'm always left scratching my head as to what to wear.

Enter nice pants that aren't jeans...

Burda Style #129B 02/14

These are Spring Cigarette Pants from Burda Style magazine. They are slim cut, mid-rise trousers with hip pockets, a zip fly front and mock single welt back pockets.


The fabric is a rather sturdy cotton with a slight amount of stretch which I scored at one of The Fabric Store's mega sales. I made size 36 which is the smallest size and the fit was pretty good, but after a days wear they stretched out too much for my liking so I took them in by .5 cm on the inseam, back seam and side seams and the fit is much better. Although the Burdastyle sizing chart places me at size 36 I have discovered that 34 generally works better for me so that's what I'll be cutting from now on. I feel like the crotch might be a little long but I'm no expert on such things. What say you crotch experts???

This was my first time making welt pockets. Words of advice: If you are attempting a new challenging sewing technique don't choose a Burdastyle magazine pattern as your brain will be boggled for days as was mine. After endless practising on scrap fabric, head scratching, muttering and complex mental gymnastics I attempted the the welt pockets on my pants and they turned out... pretty crap. Luckily for me and (and you) they are quite high - too high! I was also saved by the print which renders them pretty much invisible. I'm pretty confident my next welts will be much better though.

La Sylphide by Papercut Patterns

A while back I discovered a gap in my wardrobe in the shape of a black blouse. That gap has now been filled by this sheer La Sylphide blouse by Papercut Patterns . I made this with a ridiculously fragile black fabric also from The Fabric Store.


I just love pussy bows so I'm pretty pleased with this guy. I definitely want to make the dress version of this pattern and maybe another shirt but without the peplum. Actually the skirt looks pretty cool too...

What patterns do you guys have your eyes on?

DEETS:

Pants: 129b Burdastyle 02/2014
Size: 36, taken in .5cm sides, inseam, back seam
Fabric: Cotton with stretch from The Fabric Store
Mods: none

Top: La Sylphide by Papercut Patterns
Size: Extra Small
Fabric: Lightweight cotton from The Fabric Store
Mods: none

12 comments:

  1. You rock! I love this whole outfit and I'm coming to steal those pants. Are you kidding me? The fit looks fantastic. I think the crotch depth looks about right to me. When I was making my indigo denim wide legged pants I found a few useful resources including this one http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/C227/
    and this one tells you how much crotch ease is recommended for different pant styles http://catsfork.com/CatsProjects/SewingCraftsMenu_files/Pt1-Slim%20Pant%20Design%20Principles.pdf
    I found them very useful, hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh these look very helpful, I'll definitely be referring to them in future. Thankyou!

      Delete
  2. It's a smashing outfit. The pants fit looks perfect! And you're so fearless tackling welt pockets with BURDA INSTRUCTIONS! Crikey that's living on the edge and testing sanity! And the top is gorgeous and glamourous! Win and win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I think I was foolish rather than fearless, but I've learned my lesson now!

      Delete
  3. The fit on your pants looks incredible! And the print is great. I only refer to Burda instructions to make sure there's nothing unusual and then I go my own way; it's way easier to figure it out on my own then try to sort out their instructions! If you haven't seen it already, Poppykettle has a great welt tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I wish I saw that tutorial on Poppykettle when I was going through my welt trials! I have it duly book marked now. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. I've finally made it to your blog! What took me so long?! Loving those pants, the fabric is perfect for them. I have the La Sylphide pattern in my collection but have never made it so it's good to see yours. How do you find the arm movement situation? Is there good range of motion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! That's a very good question! When I first made La Sylphide I was thinking that I would size down for next time because it seems a little loose at the bust, waist and in the arms. BUT I have discovered upon wearing it that it only just has enough range of motion in the back and shoulders - I can feel it pulling when I bend over so I'll be sticking with the extra small.

      Delete
  5. Such a great outfit! It's really cute! I've recently purchased a Burda trousers pattern, but I'll be using other resources for the instructions as I never understand what the hell Burda wants me to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou! I've made a few Burda things now and I'm kind of getting the hang of what they're trying to tell me. The main problem is the total absence of diagrams. Pictures make all the difference. Good luck with your pants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that! The outfit is sooo cooool!! I just love everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like these two pieces too and I get a lot of wear out of them!

      Delete