Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Work it

Hi! Hows the weather where you are? It's been bloody freezing here and by freezing I mean highs of 10º celsius/50º fahrenheit which is about as cold as it gets in Auckland. Is that cold for you? For me it is!
So if it's so cold what am I doing prancing round in a tank and shorts?

Well lately I've been getting into Hot Yoga which as the name suggests is hot and not IMO conducive to lycra leggings.

So luckily the sun has come out the last couple of days and has warmed things up so I could take these photos of my new yoga kit.

Today I am sporting the Pneuma Tank by Papercut Patterns and City Gym Shorts by The Purl Bee.

These were both such quick and easy makes that required hardly any fabric, which leaves me wondering why is RTW activewear so expensive???



I absolutely love the Lululemon-esque design of the tank without the hefty price tag. I made an XS which is my default sizing for Papercut patterns and I think the fit is perfect. Fabric is from The Fabric Store. There is a lot of scope for hacks for the tank and shock confession guys: sometimes when I should be focussing on my breath and being present in the NOW I'm actually glancing round the class checking out everyone elses Lululemon gears. I'm only human.

The shorts are a very simple FREE pattern with an elasticated waist and tulip hem. I was in between sizes so I chose the smaller size but I had to take them out a little because they were too tight. Next time I'll size up. The fabric for the shorts is a geometric cotton print from Spotlight. Something to consider when making the shorts is that they are very short so if you're not keen to show off too much thigh you might want to lengthen them a little.


I'm very fortunate. My Mother has been a yoga teacher since I was a kid and I got into it myself as a teenager. I'm not super flexible or anything - I spent my twenties running lots and lots with huge breaks from yoga. In the last few years though I've returned to yoga as one of my main forms of physical and spiritual practise. I love it!



I'm so happy with these makes. I'm definitely planning on making more workout gear. I just bought the Ooh la leggings from Papercut and I'd love to make some Fehr Trade gears too. Can I convince you to make your own activewear too???


NAMASTE!

15 comments:

  1. Great yoga outfit :) 10º celsius? For me it is pretty good temperatur. -10º celsius is cold, -20º celsius is bloody freezing. But now we have summer in Poland :) 20-30º celsius and beautiful sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Everyone here is complaining about how cold it's been but we're actually pretty lucky with our climate aren't we? -20º ouch! Enjoy the sun!

      Delete
  2. They are fabulous! Particularly the top - Lululemon eat your heart out. Despite my career requiring I wear lycra at all times, I have not ventured into making my own activewear. It just seemed too hard and the technical fabric availability non-existent. That definitely appears to be changing and this post is so timely as I am thinking seriously about making the Steeplechase Leggings from Fehr Trade. I love that there is no inseam - it drives me mental when a performance tight has an inseam. I'll let you know how I go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it in my mind that making activewear was too hard but it actually turned out easier than making normal clothes. I highly recommend it! I'm looking at the Steeplechase leggings too. I'm interested to see how you go :)

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! Such a gorgeous combination - rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I'm a big runner as well and obsessed with running tights - but not as in love with the price tags. I've been adding more yoga to my schedule to balance tight hips - this is a beautiful outfit you have put together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so surprised with how easy and cheap it was! Tight hips - I know all about it :)

      Delete
  5. Fantastic! This looks awesome and very - purchased from high end fancy workout store. I actually have the pneuma pattern taped together just waiting for me to cut it out! :D I've been super into sewing my own workout gear lately, but this inspired me to make mine more "fun" ! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep the Pneuma is a great pattern - I'll definitely be making more!

      Delete
  6. Oh man, 50F isn't cold AT ALL! :) But I'm sure your houses aren't insulated as well so it probably feels colder. I love your workout gear! Both pieces are so cute! I'm trying to be more regular about practicing yoga, but I'm so weak and so bad at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about our badly insulated houses! And we don't have great central heating like you guys. There's no such thing as "bad at yoga" so keep up with it :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Kate, it's Helen, we met at #nism2015. You've got some lovely work on your blog - if only I'd known you were into yoga we could have nattered about it this weekend! Sounds like you are a lot more experienced than me though. I've got plans to make some yoga gear I just haven't settled on what yet 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. So nice to meet you this weekend. I had such a good time! Hopefully we will meet again soon at a sewing event and we can talk sewing and yoga! Good luck with your sewing gear :)

      Delete
  8. Love this combo. I just made my first workout top and have been looking at more activewear patterns. These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete