Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Tee Two Ways

Hi guys! I hope you are well and all your sewing dreams are coming true.

Me Made May! This is my first year participating and it's been super fun. Through Instagram I've found heaps of new bloggers and fellow crafters to follow and admire. So far my pledge to wear me made clothes every day is going well and some handmade wardrobe goals have been identified:

1) Gotta get started with knitting a cardigan of some kind.
2) Need more harem pants
3) Need more cozy clothes with character



I've also figured out that comfort is my number one criteria when I reach for an item to wear in my everyday normal life BUT I need at least a little bit of spice in my outfit or else I feel sad. My preferred spices are colour and print but the occasional ruffle, frill, pleat, peplum and gather I find quite delicious too.

The pattern for this t-shirt is from Home Sewn - a book put out by the New Zealand Fashion Museum, which I got from the library. There are 10 sewing patterns from leading NZ designers and this particular pattern is by World - one of New Zealands coolest and quirkiest fashion labels and waaaay out of my price range.



I've made three of these t-shirts so far - I love the snug fit and that it's so ridiculously easy to make. I made the first one with the V-neck but I cleared it out in a frenzied state of decluttering and immediately regretted it (don't you hate that?). For the second version I made a round neckline with a neck-band and for the third I did the same and I made a peplum using this tutorial. It's not often I get to use the number pi in my everyday life but for making peplums and cutting round cakes into an odd amount of slices it comes in very handy.



Funky cotton knits are hard to find in this neck of the woods so when I see one I like I snap it up. The red and white stripe was procured from my ever faithful Fabric Store and the polka dots are from Spotlight.


My skirt is entirely the fault of Pinterest. I saw this midi version on my daily trawl and as fate would have it I had all the ingredients in my stash to make my own. It's just two gathered rectangles and a waistband but boy did it give me trouble! All fabrics are not created equal and this one certainly had a personality of it's own! I based the measurements on my colour-blocked dress but it was so ridiculously pouffy I had to unpick it and hack a sizeable chunk of the sides. After sewing it up again the pockets were misbehaving and causing weirdness so I had to unpick it again and remove them. In the past this would have been dumped on the UFO pile, but I persevered and got there in the end!
I'm really enjoying my fitted tees but now I'd like to work on some slouchy oversized t-shirts. Do you guys have any patterns you would recommend?

12 comments:

  1. Glad you're having fun with MMM. I lamented my lack of cardi's last year! Your tees are very cute - are those recent pics because crikey it's freezing here! You know I'm in love with the Mandy boat tee - you'll need to take a little width out as you're tiny but for cooler weather it's a winner. I've made it in wool too with full length sleeves. And free! I also like the burda dolman tee but it's very fabric hungry with the full length sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah. I took these photos a couple of days ago. We've had the most amazing summer and autumn - long may it last! I'm definitely swaying the way of the Mandy or Hemlock, especially if I find a striped knit because I think they look amazing in stripes. I actually have a Burdastyle dolman pattern which I need to whip out. This one has long cuffs so it doesn't chew through so much fabric.

      Delete
  2. Very cute tees. I believe I need to make a few more fitted ones... For oversized tees I like grainline's hemlock. I do take some width out. It's free, and I think somewhat similar to the Mandy tee, though I haven't made that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle. I absolutely loved your red striped Hemlock! I know I would wear that all the time... Just need to find some red stripes. I would definitely do your modifications too for my petite frame. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I've just started following you on Instagram :) It's indeed enjoyable to see what sewing bloggers on the world are doing and wearing. I love your peplum top, such a cute statement piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maya. I'm following you now!

      Delete
  4. Love the dots! Love the peplum! Is that any surprise? They're all super cute... but those dots. I wasn't a fan of the Mandy Boat tee on me, but perhaps it was my choice of fabric? I also took width out and it still just feels a bit blah. I don't know, but it's essentially the same as the Hemlock (which I haven't tried) and as Sarah said: It's free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised you liked the spotty peplum! Hmmmm that's good to know about your Mandy experience. I'll tread with care and choose my fabric wisely

      Delete
  5. those fitted tees are perfect!! Such a cute variation with the peplum too! For slouchy tees I'd start with the Hemlock since it's free. I've only made one, but I think I'd shorten and narrow the sleeves on my next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie. I loved your hemlock - I think it looks great in stripes. Thanks for the tips :)

      Delete
  6. Such great pieces! I'm going to try the Mandy boat tee soon, I think. I made the Hemlock ages ago, but it looked terrible on me and I used a horrible fabric, so it went straight into the garbage. I've also just gotten the Ensis tee pattern and am looking forward to trying it out, although it's not oversized. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing your t-shirt makes. I really like the Ensis Tee and I'm tempted to buy it. I've never made oversized tees before and I don't know how they would look on me, I think fabric choice is key.

      Delete