Sunday, 19 April 2015

Yoshiko Tsukiori Review Part 2

Konnichiwa and welcome to round two of my review of the sewing books of Yoshiko Tsukiori. There really isn't anything more that I have to say about these books other than I like them. A lot. I have withdrawn them so many times from my library and paid so many overdue fines in them that in retrospect I really should have forked out and bought them when I first discovered them. If I had to choose a favourite I would probably pick Stylish Dress Book - Clothing for Everyday Wear. I've made quite a few things from it and am planning more makes in the near future.

Like Tea said, playing with these patterns really is like playing with lego. So many of the different pieces can be put together without making any adjustments and the more I leaf through the books the more potential I see for hacks, mashups and frankenpatterns.

It is worth mentioning that I have had two disasters. This was before I had my blog and I didn't have the presence of mind to photograph them before tearing them apart for other projects. But peeps let me just say they were laugh out loud ridiculous - all due to poor fabric choice on my part. The first was Pattern J from Sweet dress book which ended up looking like a technicolour choir robe (not the look I was going for) and Pattern U from Stylish Dress Book - Simple Smocks, Dresses and Tops. Pattern U calls for printed silk but I chose a purple gingham cotton instead... Ummm all I needed was a red nose and a curly wig and I would have been a perfect candidate for the circus.

So without further ado, here are the rest of my makes.

Pattern A



  

Book: Stylish Dress Book - Clothing for Everyday Wear

Fabric: Lightweight cotton from The Fabric Store

Mods: None

Verdict: This dress has potential but this particular fabric makes it looks like a dressing gown. The pocket are in a weird place and I'm going to unpick them.

Pattern D



Fabric: Cotton from The Fabric Store

Mods: Shortened the skirt to just above the knee. Just made a simple ruffle rather than the filled and slashed ruffle in the pattern. Also lengthened the slit at the neck which was stupid because the tie is too heavy and the neckline droops a bit

Verdict: I love this dress! I'll definitely be making it again.

Pattern G




Book: Stylish Dress Book - Clothing for Everyday Wear

Fabric: Cotton from The Fabric Store

Mods: None

Verdict: Just ignore the blue undies folks! I really love this dress!

Pattern L



Book: Happy Homemade Sew Chic

Fabric: Cotton from The Fabric Store, contrasting fabric from Spotlight

Mods: Added a waistband and ankle cuffs in a contrasting fabric. Changed the shape of the pockets to a slanting pocket.

Verdict: I've made these pants before and literally wore them to death. They are sooooo comfortable. I borrowed some inspiration from these Isabel Marant harem pants to make this edition. They are really quick and easy to sew up - I'd like to make a few pairs. And for your information they look great with a denim jacket 

Crop Top: Pattern R from Stylish Dress Book - Clothing for Everyday Wear. Cropped and sans ruffles.

Well that's it for now guys. I've checked out a few other Japanese pattern books from my library but none have grabbed me as much the books of Yoshiko Tsukiori. I wonder if she's working on a new one??? Tell me what are your favourite Japanese pattern books? 





10 comments:

  1. You look like you should be a model in one of the books! Your takes on the patterns are really, really pretty. I think my favorite Japanese sewing book is "She Wears the Pants" (or "She Has a Mannish Style", LOL!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! These patterns are the antithesis of a "Mannish Style" so it would be nice to have a change. I think I'm done with pretty florals for a while. I'll check it out :)

      Delete
  2. They're all gorgeous but I think the final outfit is so much fun. Love the ruffle on the second dress. Wish I was a little bit petite sometimes (but it is awesome being able to reach top shelves, so easy come, easy go!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep easy come easy go. I used to wish I was a lot taller but now I really couldn't care less. I must admit it would be handy to reach the top shelves though and I gave up on concerts long ago - it's just no fun staring at the back of sweaty necks.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I adore those pants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I must admit I love my new pants too! These are going to get a lot of wear.

      Delete
  4. I'm so far behind in my blog reading so apologies for my late comment! Love your review. I am particularly glad to see the you made up patterns D and G as I've looked at them a few times and now I know I really do love them. I also love your pants. I think I've checked out that particular book a few times but did not find much to appeal other than those pants. I need them! I think I have to buy the book just for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love this! Love patterns D and L especially. Can just imagine how comfy those harem pants are, and love the fabric choices. The crop top is perfect with them! Very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I just can't tell you how comfortable those harem pants are! In fact I've been wearing them pretty much every day since I made them including right now! Actually all of the Japanese patterns are comfortable - I'm so glad you liked my renditions :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete