Monday, 9 March 2015

Yoshiko Tsukiori Review Part 1

Konnichiwa fellow sewing enthusiasts! I have a new handmade lovely to contribute to the Japanese pattern Sewalong. I've actually made quite a few items from the books of Yoshiko Tsukiori over the last wee while, so I thought I'd do a bit of a review of some of my makes in two parts as I'm never going to get time post about them individually. It was only via a chance encounter not that long ago at my local library that I came to know of Yoshiko Tsukiori, and at first I wasn't even sure if her patterns where for me. But after making my first dress I've developed a bit of an addiction. It's been great connecting with the online sewing community too and discovering there is a whole world of Japanese pattern lovers out there too (hi!!!!)

Quite simply Yoshikio Tsukiori is a genius. All the patterns in her book are simple but very cleverly drafted and the instructions are just the best!!! Although most of the patterns have quite a lot of "positive ease" around the waist and hips and most of the garments can just be slipped on overhead I have found they always fit perfectly around the shoulders, neck and back. Then again, at 164cm and 55kg I'd say I'm more or less Japanese sized?

The patterns are great bases which you can easily alter, mix and match. If tons of positive ease is really not your thing, and you're clever enough with pattern fiddling (me, not so much) a few basic alterations would be simple enough to achieve a more fitted look.

And guys I knitted a hat which I'm sneaking in here as it doesn't warrant it's own post - humble old hat that it is. But I'm very happy with it.

Righto then, onto the patterns.

This first project is my latest make and I made it during the Sewalong.

Pattern R








Book: Stylish Dress Book - Clothing for Everyday Wear

Fabric: Cotton panel from The Fabric Store and a cotton lining

Mods: Omitted ruffles and placket

Verdict: I like it

Shorts: thrifted
Hat: Family hat with Pom Pon from Patons Winter Warmers 1310
Shoes: Saltwater

Pattern S





Book: Sweet Dress Book

Fabric: Cotton border print from The Fabric Store, lined with a lightweight cotton.

Mods: Added waist tie

Verdict: I love this dress! And the fabric is Ultimate - I wish I had bought the whole bolt. When I first made it though, it hung on me like a sack - not good. So I added a waist tie which made all the difference. Also the bodice finishes about mid bra rather than under my bra which I find a bit odd.

Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens

Pattern J




Book: Happy Homemade Sew Chic

Fabric: Linen from The Fabric Store

Mods: None

Verdict: Meh.

Jeans: me-made Ginger Jeans
Tank: Cotton On

Pattern O






Book: Stylish Dress Book - Clothing for Everyday Wear

Fabric: Tory Birch stretch cotton

Mods:none

Verdict: Cute but it's been in my wardrobe all summer and haven't worn it once. Something about the bunchiness at the back bothers me. But the fabric!

Tank: Cotton On
Jeans: Thrifted
Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens

In a nutshell: I like Japanese Patterns. How about you?

Stay tuned for the next instalment of my makes of patterns by Yoshiko Tsukiori.

Pattern 13 from Patons Winter Warmers 1310

24 comments:

  1. Hi Kate! Congratulations! All your creations are really lovely!
    Kisses, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Andrea, it was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Oh, all of those clothes are really so nice! The photos could be from a fashion magazine - the background fits the clothes! Everything fits everything: perfect! Have fun with your "you made" things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I had a lot of fun making these things and doing this shoot. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. I like Japanese Patterns, too. And I really love what you did, every single piece! The fabric of that first blouse, that dress, oh so beautiful.

    Greetings from Berlin,
    Mond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings from Auckland, New Zealand. Thanks so much for your comment, I'm glad you liked it. I really liked your dress by the way :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, so viele schöne Stücke! Und die Stoffe sind so toll!
    LG Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing... you made a whole collection! very very pretty!!
    (and I also like that wall.. ;-)
    ***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thankyou! I'm glad you liked my wall too. It's at my house :)

      Delete
  6. All so pretty and different. I know you're meh on the jacket but that colour on you is amazing! And I adore the sunburst on the first top. Look forward to the next instalment. I've just cut out my first ever Japanese pattern, the one piece asymmetric scoop top from drape drape 2..... Where I measured in at XL so I think I'll be sticking to knit Japanese patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh cool. Can't wait to see your top :) I'm yet to try the patterns from drape drape, but definitely want to give it a go.

      Delete
  7. Simply beautiful! Every single piece!
    Greetings from Emden
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monika. Thank-you so much. Greetings from Auckland!

      Delete
  8. I was so happy to see all these! I adore that top, I've been eyeing off the pattern for a similar make. It looks a really great fit so I think I'll revisit it. And the spotty dress! Lovely! The fit issues in the bodice may have to do with bust size. The bigger the cup size, generally the lower the bust line. I'm being a bit reductionist, but it may pay to simply lengthen the bodice on the pattern and it'll be sorted. I'm a very small cup size and have no problem with the patterns, so it might be worth a look. Measuring the paper pattern is a help too - it can indicate if you are going to have problems when you compare the measurements to your own. I'm a bit taller than you (167cm) and similar weight and the fit is always great with Yoshiko's patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I love the top, I've actually made a cropped black version too which comes in very handy. Thanks for your tips about the bodice. I love this dress and I'm definitely going to make another one so I will try lengthening the bodice - fingers crossed. I definitely think my bust line is lower than what her patterns are drafted for so I'll keep an eye on that for future patterns too :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, great wardrobe! I´m deeply impressed!
    Greetings from Germany,
    BuxSen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks. I't's so nice connecting with people from Germany. Thanks for your comments :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Larissa. It means a lot x

      Delete
  11. Congrats on making so many interesting things for the sew along. I especially like the polka dot fabric. It looks great with that dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chuleenan. I loooove that fabric too and I think the simple cut of the dress lends itself to the bold statement of the dots.

      Delete
  12. You choose the best fabrics! These pieces all look so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. I think the reason I sew is so I can buy pretty fabric :)

      Delete