Monday, 23 March 2015

Colour-Blocking is Fun!

I survived Simplicity 2250 guys! 

I've had this pattern for ages (another Cynthia Rowley) which I bought for the jacket without even contemplating making what looks like a super complicated dart-fest of a dress. But last year when I was researching for my Silk Jacket I came across some really cool versions of the dress, including this one which is the Simplicity model of Version C. So I filed it in my mental "to do someday" catalogue.



Last year my Dad announced that he would be getting married in March. Of course I was very happy and excited for him and his partner, but my thoughts very quickly turned to dresses. I've been making a concerted effort to make everyday-wear items and also thoroughly tweak TNT patterns, so this was a perfect excuse to make something a little more "fancy". 


Thanks to the brave souls who have trodden the 2250 path before me and generously posted about their exploits I avoided some of the pitfalls. I wasn't however, immune to the unavoidable arduousness that this pattern entails. There are 47 steps for the bodice alone, with a generous helping of hand stitching to boot! To be fair it's actually not as hard as it looks, as the instructions are spectacular and hold your hand through each step. My biggest gripe is that it never. seemed. to. end. I started off prim, proper and precise but by the time I reached the finishing touches I just wanted it to be over so badly I couldn't give  a#@$% anymore.  So what started off with the intention of creating a thing of perfection, ended in a dress full of flaws (mostly on the inside). But I'm okay with that.




Mods: I went down a size based on my measurements because I had learned from other bloggers that it is on the large size and I usually do that anyway. When I was nearing the end of the bodice I knew it was going to be still too big, so rather than doing the fancy built in invisible zip thing which I was dreading, I just whacked an invisible zip about 3cm further in on each side of the seam. I knew from reviews that the bodice lining was too short so I added about 5cm to each piece.  I omitted the bows at the back and made a gathered skirt, rather than the pleated and gathered version. This pattern calls for inter-lining as well but I chose not to because my grey fabric is fairly sturdy and I'm fairly lazy.



I've never attempted colour-blocking before but I can tell you this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship! I felt pretty out of my depth in the beginning which surprised me as I'm definitely not shy of colour. I suppose all the colour combinations that I have bought in the past have been pre-thought out by the fabric designers, and my eyes and heart tell me which ones I love. I've never had to decide for myself the colour combinations. After searching Pinterest I discovered a whole world of colour-blocking amazingness. One of my best and most surprising discoveries is that grey marries deliciously with so many other colours. Grey! I have never bought or worn grey in my life so this was a bold move but one I am not regretting. Just a small amount of bright orange was enough to add pop to what would otherwise have been quite a dull dress. And guys. Colour-blocking is cheap! This dress cost me about twenty bucks (plus a lot of blood sweat and tears) all up. I chose two good quality cottons both with a touch of lycra from the Fabric Store on sale. 


I've got all sorts of colour-blocking project ideas running through my head and I've got a brilliant (actually totally copied) idea for a shirt for my very patient partner. Stay tuned...

How about you? Have you ever tried colour-blocking?

Note: All of these photos were taken at the wedding by my lovely partner Wayan, after I had had quiiiite a lot of champagne.

10 comments:

  1. It's fabulously fabulous! Worth all the effort! I love grey too, and my favourite pairing is grey with neon pink. I've got a very small Pinterest board too dedicated to colour blocking, mostly for knitting inspiration to be honest. Hope your dad and his beloved had a marvellous wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh neon pink and grey, theres an idea... And colour-block knitting!!! What are you doing to me? I'd love to see your pinterest boards btw

      Delete
  2. Oh this is awesome!! This pattern seriously looks like a nightmare, so HUGE high fives for persevering!! And the results are super pretty! I love gray paired with a fun bright color like this - great choice on the orange! And for riding a champagne buzz you are looking remarkably well composed! You're not talking to any plants, or holding up walls, or sitting in a puddle of your own tears because you "just love everyone SOOooOOo much!" ... not that I would know anything about that (ahem). Big congrats to your Dad! Family weddings are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha your champagne buzzes sound like too much fun! I had to hold back a little as I have a minor in my care otherwise it probably could have got a little bit messy. Twas a great day - thanks!

      Delete
  3. This pattern TERRIFIES me. And I didn't even know there were 47 steps just for the bodice!!!! Madness! And I'm with Sallie- I'm nowhere near as photogenic with a good buzz on! I'll just leave you with the image of me drunkenly congratulating the priest on the "awesome job" he did at my friend's wedding... IN MY DEFENSE the reception was at a brewery, oh dear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done you! But I have to say your experience is convincing me even more strongly that making this dress would completely do my head in. I've had the pattern for years and also read all the exhausting reviews. I'm going to stick to the jacket, after reading your post on that. But, wow, your version is awesome! That orange definitely POPS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian! Yes I don't think I would recommend it. It's a cute dress and all but really wasn't worth the pain, especially as I probably wont get that much wear out of it. The jacket though is a piece of cake. Next time I make the jacket I'll take it in at the sides or do something to account for the fact that I wont be wearing it with the belt.

      Delete
  5. OMG I love this dress! I love the dartage and the detailing and the colour blocking. Luckily I am far too old to contemplate such a dress, but I can look at yours with envy and remember nostalgically a time when I might have worn it :). You look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha never too old! I saw your make for Jungle January, which btw was awesome ;) I'm glad you like the dress, even though it was a pain to make I'm quite proud of it.

      Delete