Sunday, 22 February 2015

Tartan and Polka Dots

Hi friends! I just read this post about better blog writing by Did You Make That, that's why I'm sounding so friendly all of a sudden. Theres so much to take on board when writing a post isn't there? Personally I find it challenging to strike a balance between being friendly/cheesy, staying true to myself/trying to please others, being concise/being informative and interesting plus a whole host of other issues. How about you???

Todays post indulges three of my great sewing loves; Japanese patterns, tartan and polka dots.

Did you know that there is a Japanese Pattern Sewalong at the moment? Todays blouse is from my beloved Stylish Dress Book, Clothing for Everyday Wear by Yoshiko Tsukiori.




This story however, begins with the fabric for the skirt. This was truly a case of love at first sight. I had already spent a rather long time lurking around The Fabric Store and had gathered together a number of fabrics, when a bright yellow and green diagonal tartan peeked up from beneath the bolts urging me to take her home. There was only half a bolt of this baby left so although I was definitely breaking the bank I knew I would regret it if I didn't snap her up.



Stewing in my pattern stash pot was Simplicity 1783 from which I had already made and blogged 2 versions of the blouse. I've actually made the pants too which at this point are not blog worthy as I have worn the hell out of them and they are looking past their best. Anyhow seeing as I was so happy with the other garments in the pattern I thought it would be a safe bet to make the skirt too, after all what better way to utilise tartan than for a skirt right?




The making of the skirt went smoothly and I was very happy with the result. I made no alterations whatsoever. I was in a rebellious mood when I cut out my fabric so I purposefully didn't pay any special attention to pattern matching, which after seeing the photos I am starting to regret :( There was at least a little method to my madness when it came to the non pattern-alignment of the patch pockets as I didn't want them to become invisible.  The only hitch with the skirt was that I had absolutely NOTHING else in my wardrobe to go with it, so in a drawer it went and remained. The problem is the base colour of the tartan is cream rather than white so even a white t-shirt looked terrible with it.



I finally got sick of looking at the  poor skirt every time I opened my drawer so I decided to do something about it. But where to start? What to make? I queried the Oracle of Pinterest which promptly produced the answer: "A button down shirt, for a casual preppy look."



I've made a few of the garments in Stylish Dress Book 3 (most yet to be blogged) but had never tried my hand at pattern S so decided to make that my pattern of choice, and chose a polka dot cream cotton. It is possible that I am the first ever non Japanese blogger to make this shirt because extensive google searching rendered no results of pattern S. I would love to know if you have made it!






I am proud to say I made my first ever shirt collar - and like most mental sewing hurdles, it wasn't at all as hard as I thought it would be. True to Japanese pattern form, the shirt is a rather loose fit at the waist and There are no darts whatsoever. I'm not 100% sold on it as I like a fitted look better and I just don't think collared shirts are really my jam. However I think it kind of goes with the skirt no? Polka dots and tartan?

I must say it's pretty satisfying having a complete outfit, I must try it more often. How about you? Are there any of your makes stashed away in wait of a co-ordinate?







15 comments:

  1. Yes, I make things that absolutely nothing goes with, but eventually a coordinating piece materialises and I'm good to go. I have the blouse pattern and am now wondering why I have not yet made it. Adding it to the list now...
    BTW, I would have had to have adopted that tartan too - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found my fabric purchases are going thru a blue phase, so no orphans at thus point. If I make something outrageous I try to make it as a full outfit... I love the outfit but I see your point - the two pincessant together do hide your shape a little. The shirt will be lovely with jeans. Clearly you need to go cream fabric shopping again! I'll have to check the sewalong - might kickstart me to make my first drape drape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey that's a good idea to make outrageous full outfits rather than pieces, I'll bear that in mind next time. My thoughts exactly on cream fabric shopping!

      Delete
  3. Er...I have no idea what a 'pincessant' is, clearly my autocorrect does but it should read 'pieces'.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful outfit! Would you like to link it up at the sew along? Just add your link by the inlinkz tool!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Catrin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfit! I've been meaning to sew up that shirt for a while (it was my favorite pattern in that book, strangely), but just haven't ever gotten around to it. Yours looks great, and pairs so beautifully with the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! The shirt seems to be overlooked by most people, but it's very lovely. I would love to see another version!

      Delete
  6. Your outfit is great and I especially like the shirt - wasn't drawn to it in the book but now I've changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very very very pretty!
    i like it a lot!
    S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! I love what you've been working on too :)

      Delete
  8. This is really amazing - and you look like you've jumped out of the book yourself!
    Perfect combo!
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika. I have been enjoying your blog too. Thanks for thinking of us English speakers :)

      Delete
  9. Oh how lovely! I'm so glad you didn't pass that tartan by! It's like a burst of sunshine! I really love the fit of the shirt - but then again, I love loose silhouettes - and made up in this polka dot fabric it's especially pretty. And, oof, I hear ya on the blog writing stuff! I'm always trying to be more concise/informative/genuine, usually to lesser degrees of success! But I think it's most important to just write as yourself, it's your unique voice we want to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie. You're right. Actually I feel like it's a life lesson: "be yourself". One I'm still working at... Seriously though, what I love about your posts is that they are so casual and warm but at the same time they have a lyrical beauty to them - you have a great talent!

      Delete