Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Meat and Potatoes

I'm actually vegetarian and I'm half Brazilian so this post title would probably be more appropriately titled Beans and Rice. Anyway...


I love fabric, and when I say fabric what I actually mean is fabric with interesting prints, textures and patterns. When fabric shopping I usually end up buying amazing fabrics that catch my eye and I give no thought whatsoever to the existing items in my wardrobe. What this means is I have a multitude of separates that have no partners in crime and therefore never get worn. I also don't have any me-made casual items that I can just throw on with some jeans. To address this situation I thought it was high time that I made some boring basics (meat and potatoes) that I could match with things I have already made and get some everyday wear with. I decided to start with the quintessential item necessary for any wardrobe - the white tee. 


As you can see it's not exactly your average white tee, no no no. I had to add some spice to my boring make so I chose to use Papercut Patterns Petrouchka top as my pattern. This is a long sleeved Raglan tee with a peplum. What's not to love? I cannot tell you how hard it was for me to buy a simple white unadorned cotton knit though and how utterly unenthusiastic I was about sewing with it. But these things need to be done and it's a simple enough pattern which I whipped up relatively quickly.

I know from experience that Papercut patterns are usually a lot larger than my usual size so I made an extra small, which turned out just fine.  Oh and the skirt  is a super basic Burdastyle A-line mini that I made with a light weight cotton.

OMG this top is so comfortable! I have worn it so many times since making it. It goes with so many things and is casual and classy at the same time. I love it! 

My next boring basic was another long sleeve tee in red.

I used this Burdastyle pattern and used another plain cotton knit.

It's a batwing long sleeved top. I wanted it quite fitting so I cut a 34 without adding seam allowances. Talk about easy! It was all done and dusted in one sitting.


These boring projects are so simple but man, have I got a lot of wear out of both my tops. It hurts a little to take time out of sewing "icing" items but it is so worth it.













7 comments:

  1. Hey Kate! After your lovely comment on my blog I had to stop by to say 'hi' and see what's up! I always love making 'not so basic' basics like these two tops - they end up getting so much wear, it's so satisfying. And the fabric on that skirt is swoony...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sallie! Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much for your comments :) its certainly satisfying to get a lot of wear out of things you've made. I'll definitely be making more basics this year. See you again!

      Delete
  2. Haha I call this bread and butter sewing. Last year I got into basics in the biggest way! Year one of my sewing life was all about crazy fabric and making indie patterns that didn't really fit my life, year 2 had so many more basics but also so few failures......this year will be a bit of both! Your tees are both great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally relate!!! Last year I spent a whole lot of money on Indie patterns and cool fabric and spent ages sewing creations which I ended up giving away. I've got a couple of funky things planned for this year but want to sew a lot more basics, including a yoga outfit :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! I would like to include this post in a roundup for Sew Mama Sew. Please get back to me at kelleyetg@gmail.com for more info! Thanks! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been making basics too lately, even if the fabric isn't that exciting I love that I can easily make them in a day. I've noticed that too about papercut patterns, I've made the sigma pattern twice and at first the dress was huge on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love knocking things up in a day! And yeah papercut patterns. Usually I'm small but have to make their things up in extra small, and my Mum even inherited my extra small coppelia cardigan because it turned out too big for me. So muslins are a must!

      Delete