Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Simplicity 2250

























Usually I see patterns that I love and just have to have, which was certainly the case with pattern 2250. Funnily enough it wasn't the dress that caught my eye, but rather the jacket which I thought would be rather handy to have in my wardrobe. I have discovered that one can never have too many jackets and although I regularly add to my jacket collection I never seem to have the right one for the outfit that I'm wearing.

A pinterest search for pattern 2250 yielded few results for the jacket for inspiration sake, but I did discover the potential of the dress which I am now enthusiastic to try my hand at, despite the pleating business looking rather tricky which is what I think put me off in the first place.
























I love patterns and regularly add to my stash but ultimately for me, its all about FABRIC. I find that even when I go fabric shopping with a particular pattern in mind I end up falling in love with fabric completely unsuitable for that project and yet end up walking out of the store with it. I then have to go through my patterns to find something to make from it, and this is precisely what happened in the case of this fabric.

I went into The Fabric Store, no doubt with a particular pattern in mind but when I laid eyes on this silk I knew I had to have it, but for what I did not know, so I bought a couple of metres to cover all possibilities. I consulted my Mum once I got home because Mothers know best and she thought it would look good as pants. I did agree but wasn't sure whether I was brave enough to actually wear pants that bold. Then I discovered this pattern and thought it might be nice to have a loud jacket.
























It wasn't until I had laid out my fabric with scissors in hand that I realised that it had a very deliberate and symmetrical print that would need thoughtful placement - dope. I find pattern placement to be a laborious chore indeed - but it had to be done and I'm glad I took my time because the result is quite pleasing.



As far as sewing goes it's a pretty simple pattern.  It was my first time making bias up as a big tube then cutting along the lines - such fun! There was one drama however. After applying the bias binding to the edges of the jacket I realised I hadn't eased enough of the jacket in and I found the neck to be quite gapey which was extremely annoying. So I (reluctantly) decided to unpick it all and do it again. This time I was paranoid about easing enough, probably overdoing it, but I still find when I wear it with the belt it gapes a bit - arrrrrgh, especially when I lift my arms up. so I don't wear it with the belt. Personally I think that the pattern should have included belt loops as well. 
























This is a simple design that would work with a lot of outfits but I have to say - this print does NOT , hence it has not been worn much. But I do love the way that it adds pop to a black outfit.




14 comments:

  1. Effortless chic. SSB https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! What a compliment :) I checked out your FB page and have started following. so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's amazing how fabric can level up or down a garment. Totally agree with you on the significance of the fabric. Your jacket is gorgeous, well done!
    P.s I left a comment yesterday too but somehow disappeared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! PS I love your shirtdress! I'm dying to make one too. I just bought a pattern (another Cynthia Rowley) yesterday :)

      Delete
  4. So glad you blogged about it! I have been eyeing of the jacket pattern and have been a bit nervous about trying it! Yours looks great! Good hints about the neckline - Jackets always gape on me! Any other hints?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth! I've already replied to you but it didn't show up?? Anyway, I saw on another blog (can't remember which) that because she knew she wasn't going to wear it with the belt, she took it in at the waist. Next time I would do that too. It might be worth doing a muslin too because it only just fits me at the top back and I'm broad shouldered but not excessively so. I've started following you on Bloglovin and can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! That fabric works so incredibly well as a jacket, and all your attention to pattern matching totally paid off! This is also one of those patterns that I NEVER would have noticed had I not seen your fantastic version, and now I'm all inspired by the potential! So thanks for that!!

    ReplyDelete

  7. To be featured on SSB tomorrow, thanks for permitting.
    https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fab! I have this pattern and totally forgot about the jacket, being bamboozled by the dress. This might be just what I've been after. Super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm embarrassed to say that I just found your comment linking to this post in my comments to be moderated box (doh!). I'm glad that I eventually found it because this jacket is killer! I love the fabric you chose! I really looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I love your version too :)

      Delete