Friday, 19 December 2014

Simplicity 2054 - Striped Knit Dress

Cynthia Rowley floats my boat. That being said, I would be the first to admit that the project which I am showcasing today is probably one of her least exciting designs.


But then again. Life is not all about party dresses and midriff revealing jump suits like this and this, which by the way, I love and am dying to make. It was for reasons of the mind and not of the heart that I bought Simplicity pattern 2054. After all, a simple knit dress can never go astray and the elbow slits and/or cowl add a little pizazz that the rest of the design lacks.


Buying the fabric for this dress was very straightforward. As soon as I hit the knit section of The Fabric Store and laid my hands on this cotton/tencel knit I knew I had found the perfect match for my pattern. It's weightier than the average cotton knit, which I guess is due to the tencel (whatever that is?), which makes it a warm item for my winter wardrobe and the cool Auckland summer evenings.


I'm going to come right out and say it: "I am afraid of sewing knit fabric - especially neck bands and hems." This fear is due to previous misadventures with knit projects. I have learned the hard way that you can't approach knits in the same way you would wovens.

After consulting Google all about it I used a long zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine (my New Years resolution is to buy a serger) and a ball point needle. I needn't have been scared of the neck band because it sewed up a like a dream, in fact I'm very proud of it - it's the best neck band I've ever sewn.


Nothing much to say about the pattern really, other than it's dead easy and I didn't change a thing. I didn't make a cowl, in fact I didn't even think about it. Perhaps in retrospect it would have been cool. I guess the main thing to remember when wearing the dress is to make sure than my elbows are exfoliated and moisturised as they are my featured body part via the slits.


So that's my last project for 2014. I have been blogging and following other bloggers for 4 months now and am loving it! My only complaint is that I am so fricken inspired by all the awesomeness out there - stop it!







4 comments:

  1. I like it. Love no nonsense knit dresses.
    SSB https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you mind me sharing any of your sewing projects on SSB in the future? I credit, link to your post and let you know when featured. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sassy. Just saw your messages as I have been away. I would be honoured, I love what you do! Thankyou so much xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks Kate. I will let you know when I share.

    ReplyDelete