Monday, 1 December 2014

Bow-Collar Blouse





There is something very intimidating about making a button down shirt (to me). There are so many buttonholes on display and so many potential disasters sewn indelibly into a shirt that you have spent so much time and care on. That is probably why I have shied away from making them for so long.

But when I saw this cute bow-collar blouse in the 3rd Stylish Dress Book by Yoshiko Tsukiori  (pattern E) I thought I would face my fears of sewing so many button holes in a row and attempt my first button down.


As far as shirts go it's very basic. Short sleeved so no sleeve plackets and no yoke. The only difficulty is the necktie which took me a couple of goes to get my head around and the nerve wracking finale of the buttonholes.


I have a long term love affair with The Fabric Store. I have been loitering around their cloth bolts since the turn of the century. I had seen this Japanese cotton with a cherry print on several of my visits and had fallen in love. It was a bit pricier than other cottons and only 115cm wide so I practised extreme self control and never took the plunge to buy it because I had no idea what I would make with it. When I saw this  blouse though I knew that I had found the perfect match for my beloved fabric.



I love the style of necktie blouses but I've never actually owned one. Some people call it the librarian look, but when I donned it for the first time I felt distinctly clown-like and I don't mean that in a good way. I have however,  worn it a couple of times and the look is growing on me.


Like most of the patterns from Stylish Dress book it is a rather loose fit. Perhaps next time I would take it in at the sides and maybe add some darts, but like I said, it's growing on me. It is however rather short and I would definitely lengthen it for next time, as it is it can't be tucked into my jeans and is not long enough for butt coverage when worn out.


I'm still getting the hang of this photography thing. Today was the first day I ventured outside of my back yard. Oh my God, I was embarrassed as hell taking photos of myself in full view of passersby, but I started warming up to it and it became quite fun. The photos though are absolute crap and that is the weirdest tree that I'm standing in front of. If I wasn't Ms Wabi-Sabi I would do another shoot, but time waits for no fool, I have other fish to fry. I'm working on another button down, also from Stylish dress book!









2 comments:

  1. I love it! The Stylish dress books are my favourite sewing books but I hadn't noticed the E shirt until I saw yours and now I want to make one :) Your fabric is adorable too and reminds me of a Japanese project of mine, if you want to have a look it's here: http://sewingandso.blogspot.com/2013/03/new-japanese-blouse.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cecili! Thank-you. Actually I love your blog! I've been following it for a little while. Fellow Japanese pattern lovers :)

    ReplyDelete